1 of 5
Bransen Faulhaber, 7, lassoes Kole Michael Jones at an evacuation center for the Riverside Fire at the Clackamas County Fairgrounds, Sunday, Sept. 13, 2020, in Canby, Ore. The two are staying in RVs with their families after evacuating their homes due to the fire danger. (AP Photo/John Locher)
Kim Miller and Monty Graham open their truck bed and began loading up sandbags along U.S. 90 in preparation for Tropical Storm Sally, Sunday, Sept. 13, 2020 in Gulfport, Miss. (Alyssa Newton/The Sun Herald via AP)
A man walks by a large screen showing Yoshihide Suga, in Tokyo, Monday, Sept. 14, 2020. Suga was elected as the new head of Japan’s ruling party on Monday, virtually guaranteeing him parliamentary election as the country’s next prime minister. (AP Photo/Koji Sasahara)
FILE - In this Aug. 12, 2020 file photo, President Donald Trump, accompanied by From left, U.S. special envoy for Iran Brian Hook, Avraham Berkowitz, Assistant to the President and Special Representative for International Negotiations, U.S. Ambassador to Israel David Friedman, President Donald Trump's White House senior adviser Jared Kushner, and Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin, smiles in the Oval Office at the White House in Washington. For the first time in more than a quarter-century, a U.S. president will host a signing ceremony, Tuesday, Sept. 15, between Israelis and Arabs at the White House, billing it as an "historic breakthrough" in a region long known for its stubborn conflicts. (AP Photo/Andrew Harnik, File)
FILE - In this July 21, 2020 file photo, a man opens social media app 'TikTok' on his cell phone, in Islamabad, Pakistan. The owner of TikTok has chosen Oracle over Microsoft as the American tech partner that could help keep the popular video-sharing app running in the U.S., according to a source familiar with the deal who was not authorized to speak publicly about it. (AP Photo/Anjum Naveed, File)
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. FIGHT OVER CLIMATE AHEAD OF PRESIDENT'S VISIT Leaders in the Democratic-led West Coast states and President Donald Trump have clashed over the role of climate change as wildfires race through the region.
2. MIDEAST DEAL TOUTS ‘PEACE’ WITHOUT WAR President Donald Trump is hailing Tuesday’s signing ceremony between Israel and the United Arab Emirates as a “historic breakthrough.” But the latest deal is between already friendly countries that have never gone to war with Israel.
3. TIKTOK CHOOSES ORACLE IN TRUMP URGED BILL The owner of TikTok has chosen Oracle over Microsoft as the American tech partner that could help keep the popular video-sharing app running in the U.S., according to a source.
4. YOSHIHIDE SUGA ELECTED AS HEAD OF JAPAN'S RULING PARTY Suga received 377 votes in the ruling Liberal Democratic Party election to pick a successor to Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, who is resigning due to health problems.
5. GULF COAST PREPARES FOR POSSIBLE HURRICANE Storm-weary residents prepare for a new weather onslaught Monday as Tropical Storm Sally churns northward.
Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.
Be the first to know
Get local news delivered to your inbox!