1 of 5
Corbin Boyce holds an American flag on the beach near Fort Walton Beach, Fla., on Tuesday, Sept. 15, 2020, as strong winds and rough waves from Hurricane Sally scour the shoreline. (Devon Ravine/Northwest Florida Daily News via AP)
FILE - In this Sept. 7, 2020, file photo, a firefighter battles the Creek Fire as it threatens homes in the Cascadel Woods neighborhood of Madera County, Calif. This year's fires have taxed the human, mechanical and financial resources of the nation's wildfire fighting forces to a degree that few past blazes did. And half of the fire season is yet to come. (AP Photo/Noah Berger,File)
Daily wage laborers wait to get hired for the day in Mumbai, India, Wednesday, Sept. 16, 2020. India's total of coronavirus infections passed 5 million Wednesday, still soaring and testing the feeble health care system in tens of thousands of impoverished towns and villages. (AP Photo/Rafiq Maqbool)
An employee walks in to Midwest Paper Group mill for a morning shift in Little Chute, Wis., part of the greater Appleton area, Aug. 18, 2020. At the mill, there is a story of recovery, but one where credit lay with the union and the county executive, not with President Donald Trump. As the need for white paper waned, more than 600 workers were handed pink slips in anticipation of it being shuttered. Instead, the mill added new machines to make materials for cardboard, capitalizing on the growing number of people shopping online at Amazon. (AP Photo/David Goldman)
FILE - In this Monday, June 29, 2020, file photo, a Boeing 737 Max jet heads to a landing at Boeing Field following a test flight in Seattle. A U.S. House committee is questioning whether Boeing and the Federal Aviation Administration have recognized problems that caused two deadly 737 Max jet crashes and if either organization will be willing to make significant changes to fix them. (AP Photo/Elaine Thompson, File)
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. SALLY COULD LEAD TO RECORD FLOODING The hurricane makes landfall near Gulf Shores, Alabama, as a Category 2 storm with torrential rain and damaging storm surge.
2. WHY WILDFIRES HAVE BEEN A TOUGH FIGHT Heat, drought and a strategic decision to attack the flames early combined with the coronavirus have put a historically heavy burden on West Coast firefighters.
3. INDIA CROSSES 5 MILLION CORONAVIRUS CASES The still soaring figure is testing the country’s feeble health care system in tens of thousands of impoverished towns and villages.
4. ‘THE PERCEIVED REALITY IS WHAT’S IMPORTANT’ In Appleton, Wisconsin, the health of the economy is viewed through partisan lenses — filtered through facts voters want to see and hear, and those they don’t.
5. REPORT BLASTS BOEING, FAA FOR CRASHES A House panel blames two deadly 737 Max jet crashes on the “horrific culmination” of failed government oversight, design flaws and a lack of action at Boeing despite knowing about problems.
Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.
Be the first to know
Get local news delivered to your inbox!