Pregnancies, birth control

2011-07-06T00:00:00Z Pregnancies, birth control Santa Maria Times
July 06, 2011 12:00 am

A group of about 12 people pray daily across from Planned Parenthood in Santa Maria. They are opposed to abortion.

I am too, but feel sex education and contraception is what is needed. Seventy-seven percent of Planned Parenthood’s

activity is contraception and pregnancy, while only 5 percent is abortion. It is a very busy place and needs to start a second clinic.

In the U.S., 60 percent of all pregnancies are not intended. Santa Maria had the highest teen pregnancy rate of any city in America. I introduced a course in human sexuality at Hancock College. I worked hard for the passage of the Roe vs. Wade decision in 1973

legalizing abortion. Prior to its passage, contraception was illegal, and in Boston when I worked on an ambulance, I saw the results of self-inflicted coat-hanger abortions. Terrible. I became a strong lifetime supporter of Planned Parenthood, as it is the only local source of contraception.

In Italy, which is 97 percent Catholic, the pope’s statements against contraception are ignored, so their birth rate is lower than the death rate. Italians are not even replacing themselves. We should do the same.

Bill Denneen

Nipomo

Copyright 2015 Santa Maria Times. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

(41) Comments

1. WyettEarp
    WyettEarp - July 09, 2011 9:50 am
    >>> WyettEarp said on: July 8, 2011, 1:01 pm
    NuniCan't said: "CBrown,"Lies about the abortion rates at Planned Parenthood!"Prove it."

Pretty much is proven as a lie by virtue of the fact that you are challenging it. LOL <<

Sorry CBrown, that should have read: Pretty much is proven as NOT a lie by the virtue of the fact that you are challenging it.
  2. HereWeAre
    HereWeAre - July 09, 2011 4:57 am
    What we need to do is mass law suit against the government for not enforcing our laws. Maybe Ron Paul will listen. Lord knows every state has tired to rid themselves of these criminals but its the same ole BS , with the obama aculfuk
    screaming human rights. where are a my human rights while they steal and pillage our homes?
  3. HereWeAre
    HereWeAre - July 09, 2011 4:45 am
    We have had 2 home invasions in 10 days both neighbors and elderly. one got a gun the other had an alarm system put in.
    guess whom the perps are? Now its not them stabbing each other they are coming after the weak to get the goods.
    People know that this whole thing is going to end badly with no help from the gov to enforce the laws.
  4. Justin Case
    Justin Case - July 08, 2011 6:10 pm
    BoobyH,

Actually, I never posted a comment on a newspaper forum claiming I know about my buddy’s jock strap while engaging in locker room parlance…BUT you did!

Parlance:
    1 : speech; especially : formal debate or parley
    2 : manner or mode of speech

So you enjoy hanging out in MENS locker rooms talking about Jock Straps, do you?!

Just saying,

JC

PS
    PLEASE let me know what gym you attend…so that I can avoid going into the locker room!
    PSS
    You didnt answer my question: was friend of lies there too? did nuttycant video any thing?
  5. bobbyh
    bobbyh - July 08, 2011 4:01 pm
    JustinCase: My bad for assuming your familiarity with locker room parlance. I should have used an outhouse metaphor.
  6. Charlie 26
    Charlie 26 - July 08, 2011 3:36 pm
    I am thinking with all these illegals having kids we will have to fight back or soon we will be outnumbered. Red blooded American women can fight back by having lots of babies of their own. We have the technology we can make 4 5 or 6 at a time. I am sure the men are willing to do their part, however we first have to suspend the child support laws while we even the numbers. Volunteer ladies may call 1 800 555-7777. Please fill out the hold harmless forms when you arrive.
  7. Freedom Fighter
    Freedom Fighter - July 08, 2011 3:34 pm
    HereWeAre - ha! Love your comments re the dental visit. Classic, but oh so true. If ever you have occasion to visit our local E.R., a real treat is in store for you! You'll end up waiting behind countless pregnant illegal aliens. You're the taxpayer, right? You have insurance, right? But even though you're a legal citizen, you will wait behind illegal aliens, most of whom are using our E.R. rooms like walk-in clinics for their belly aches, bruises, stab wounds, etc.

Wyett, love the poem. Gave me a chuckle and the words ring true.

I don't like feeling such resentment, but how else can I feel when my city has been besieged by thousands of criminals?

Keep the comments coming, folks. Let's try and figure out this pregnancy and birth control issue for our illegal residents. Anybody here speak Oaxacan?
  8. Justin Case
    Justin Case - July 08, 2011 2:35 pm
    BoobyH,

You said to Nipas4life: “Don't know you but I do know Bill Deneen, and, in locker room parlance, I doubt that you're fit to carry his jockstrap.”

What is it exactly is it you do with BillyD in the locker room? You sure know a lot about his jock strap! I’ve heard stories about you!

Just saying,

JC

PS
    By any chance, was friend of lies with the two of you? Did nunicant video any thing?
  9. HereWeAre
    HereWeAre - July 08, 2011 1:14 pm
    IF it was someone breeding dogs they would call it a puppy mill.
  10. HereWeAre
    HereWeAre - July 08, 2011 1:13 pm

WyettEarp said on: July 8, 2011, 8:49 am
    AN ILLEGAL POEM
    by Illegal Immigrants

PRICELESS!

11. bobbyh
    bobbyh - July 08, 2011 1:08 pm
    Nipomo4Life: Don't know if there is a propriety line beyond which contributors to this forum cannot cross, but your post of July 7 is a classic example of why there ought to be. Don't know you but I do know Bill Deneen, and, in locker room parlance, I doubt that you're fit to carry his jockstrap. And CBrown frets over why we "intellectuals" talk down to you and your ilk.
  12. HereWeAre
    HereWeAre - July 08, 2011 1:05 pm
    I had to see a dentinst emergency, only one was not booked up over on main, my God never saw so many people with so many kids in tow all wanting to pay with medical, what a insane joke.
    One illegal had 7 kids and one in the oven. Gave her a dirty look of disgust and she moved to the other side of the room. Soon we found that all the American English folks had huddled to one side of the room. Do you think they are getting the message? if the gov won't get rid of them the people will.
    What will happen is the state will go broke and no money via welfare nor under the table jobs for them. Let the blood sucker farmers eat crow. we are growing most of our own fruit and veggies. may be small but it makes us feel better.
  13. WyettEarp
    WyettEarp - July 08, 2011 1:01 pm

14. WyettEarp
    WyettEarp - July 08, 2011 12:59 pm
    Freedom Fighter said: "Tiredofitall, I respect your beliefs and thank you for posting. You asked what if my mother decided she didn't want to bother with me? If she had decided to terminate me in the womb, I wouldn't know any different, would I? Nor would I care. But let me try and meet you half-way in this discussion. Why not implement a suggestion by ctakier whereby anybody on welfare who has additional children is automatically cut-off? Why not have the government control the impoverished breeding populace by encouraging vasectomies or tubal ligation -- two procedures that are reversible? Attempting to educate the ignorant populace in SM (illegal aliens) is a waste of money. "

Hey, I like that.

They can be given a choice. They can have the money for one kid but they have to agree to non-reversible tubal ligation and vasectomies.

Unless it is an anchor baby. They should tossed out of the country along with the parents.

15. Cbrown
    Cbrown - July 08, 2011 10:00 am
    Read this-

----City-owned Memorial Health System paid $700,000 to settle a lawsuit filed by an undocumented immigrant from Mexico whose baby allegedly suffered severe brain injuries during delivery four years ago.----

Not not only are they getting FREE medical care- care that they take from someone that pays taxes- now they get to sue our hospitals, too!

16. Charlie 26
    Charlie 26 - July 08, 2011 9:45 am
    Meanwhile while all this is being discussed the politicians are raiding the till and I believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster
  17. Freedom Fighter
    Freedom Fighter - July 08, 2011 9:25 am

But let me try and meet you half-way in this discussion. Why not implement a suggestion by ctakier whereby anybody on welfare who has additional children is automatically cut-off? Why not have the government control the impoverished breeding populace by encouraging visectomies or tubal ligation -- two procedures that are reversible?

Attempting to educate the ignorant populace in SM (illegal aliens) is a waste of money. This sector of our population want to continue pumping out babies because it means more welfare and other taxpayer perks. Until the government steps in and puts a stop to the abuse, it is the taxpayer who will continue being financially abused. Meanwhile, we should all get used to seeing thousands of pregnant illegals waddling aimlessly in our streets. They don't have to work! What a wonderful life it must be?
  18. WyettEarp

NuniCan't - July 08, 2011 6:44 am
    ctakier,

I agree with you 100%
  20. Tiredofitall
    Tiredofitall - July 07, 2011 10:38 pm
    freedomfighter
    What if your mom decided she didn't want to be bothered with you, hence abortion. Every baby deserves a chance. There are many people interested in adoption. Abortion is not an option, anymore than killing a baby is an option. It's just that one is in a uterus, and the other isn't.
  21. ctakier
    ctakier - July 07, 2011 9:39 pm
    In my humble opinion, the problem will never truly go away until we place some better controls on the welfare system. Too many people see it as a long term right rather than a short term means of assistance. This is not to say that everyone on welfare isn't trying to better themselves, only that there are too many people that abuse the system. A few things that I would put in place to stop the abuse would be as follows:
    First, prohibit anyone that is currently on welfare from having additional children. Now I am not saying that you need to take away their ability to have more, just say that any additional pregnancies will immediately terminate your ability to collect welfare.
    Second, make drug testing mandatory in order to collect welfare. The tax payers should not be paying for mom to get high on their dime.
    Third, make those on welfare actually work to collect. Heck.. we can even kill two birds with one stone here.. Put them to work in the fields and displace the illegals. Make it something *not* fun and difficult to do in order to collect. There's no reason that it should be easy to collect something without giving something in return.
    Finally, and most importantly, run anyone collecting public benefits through the E-Verify system. There's absolutely NO reason that we should be paying people that don't belong here in the first place.

I will listen to everyone's flames now. :)
  22. Freedom Fighter
    Freedom Fighter - July 07, 2011 2:43 pm
    Tiredofitall, abortion may not be THE answer, but it is certainly AN answer. It has been every woman's constitutional right since 1973 when Roe v. Wade was decided and remains a viable option today. I only wish more people were utilizing this option rather than giving birth and then staying on the government dole. That, to me, is a far bigger crime.
  23. Nipomo4life
    Nipomo4life - July 07, 2011 12:47 pm
    It's too bad that Bill D and BobbyH's mothers didn't concider abortion themselves, there would be two less idiots in the world
  24. Sounds Logical
    Sounds Logical - July 07, 2011 12:28 pm
    Wyett, thanks for the photo of my new car. LOL!

Darn you're funny!

An IQ test prior to procreating is a great idea in theory, but will unlikely gain support in the coming years. If you live in Santa Maria proper, like it or not, you will remain an unwitting parent (via your tax dollars) to thousands of illegitimate children. Our government has enslaved us and made us enablers to this heinous crime.

Yes, some would believe it takes a village to raise a child, but in Santa Tijuana (where most illegals have less than a third grade education), it takes a village to raise a bunch of idiots.
  25. WyettEarp
    WyettEarp - July 07, 2011 9:38 am
    Sounds Logical!!! I love it!!! lmao

Here is you new Mercedes (complete with Obomb ordered modifications): http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_bkFIPLIOGL8/RvBF3j6VZWI/AAAAAAAADMM/fJOE8RDXzCw/s1600/6amc_gremlin.jpg
  26. Sounds Logical
    Sounds Logical - July 07, 2011 8:39 am
    I, Sounds Logical, along with my wife, do hereby solemly pledge that we will never produce any children. We believe it is the supreme duty of parents to financially care for their own without any governmental assistance, and that too many children born in the U.S. are being subsidized by the taxpayers -- an idea hatched by ignorant socialists who would want us to believe that "it takes a village to raise a child".

Signed,
    Sounds Logical

Now, may I have my new Mercedes?
  27. Tiredofitall
    Tiredofitall - July 07, 2011 7:31 am
    There is nothing about abortion that is okay. Perhaps if we quit paying people to have babies, they would either leave the U.S. or quit. It isn't just the illegals, tho the majority seems to be. I know a young caucasian girl who popped out three babies by three different fathers. She is now living, eating and playing off our taxpayer money. We are paying for her choices. Do I have an answer to all of this? No. We can't let the babies suffer, we can't stop the act of indiscriminate sex. Somehow, the babymachines need to be held responsible. BUT bottom line, abortion is not the answer.
  28. WyettEarp
    WyettEarp - July 06, 2011 8:27 pm
    >> Equating an abortion with the murder of a human being is contrary to the law of the land and the preponderance of public opinion, and is, at its core, a religious belief.<

Hogwash! It is an important issue to Christians and they are on front line but it is NOT based on religion. Not in my mind and I would guess not in the mind of a lot of people.

You are just using the issue to take a cheap shot at religion. You are just trying to clear your own conscience so you can justify the belief that sex is a recreational sport. Well it is not!
  29. NuniCan't
    NuniCan't - July 06, 2011 8:21 pm
    CBrown,

"Lies about the abortion rates at Planned Parenthood!"

Prove it.

30. WyettEarp
    WyettEarp - July 06, 2011 8:19 pm
    >> In India, the country is now giving out cars to those who pledge not to have children. Perhaps in the U.S., our government (being the generous people that we are), can give out a lifetime of free tacos to illegal aliens who pledge not to have more than 12 children. <<

I love it!!!
  31. Cbrown
    Cbrown - July 06, 2011 7:36 pm
    Bobby H-

Once again, just about everything you have written is wrong!

We are a religious nation that has laws that forbid the imposition of a national religion. Everything in, around, and near our county’s Founding was done on a Christian Bible! Even our money says, “In God We Trust!” What more evidence will you deny?

The vast majority of Americans, although not believers of organized religion, do in fact believe in a supreme being. Most profess a belief in the existence of a Christian god that created the Earth and all mankind- more often than not!

Further, recent polling show that 60% of Americans oppose abortion and want to see it made illegal. The facts are undeniable. Your overwhelming liberal bias against religion notwithstanding.

Your so-called intellectual mind, (that by coincidence makes you think that you’re smarter than everyone else) is total lost when it comes to the concept of religious faith. You can’t quantify it, so guys like you will never understand it! You rail against the things you can’t understand!
  32. bobbyh
    bobbyh - July 06, 2011 7:10 pm
    Great letter, Bill, as always. We are a secular nation that protects religious expression but prevents the imposition of religious beliefs on its citizens. Equating an abortion with the murder of a human being is contrary to the law of the land and the preponderance of public opinion, and is, at its core, a religious belief. Were the Catholic Church to alter its position - as it has on so many issues in the past - opposition to Roe v. Wade would dissipate overnight. In any case, it has always been my opinion that abortion opponents care far less about whether or not the unborn fetus is a human being than about the act that precipitated the pregnancy. How else can the church defend its parallel opposition to contraception and the distribution of contraceptive devices and information to individuals wanting them? Sex, except for the express purpose of impregnating the woman is regarded as a sinful, degrading, and unclean act, and an unwanted pregnancy is the pound of flesh demanded of her by God - or so some clerics would have us believe.
  33. Cbrown
    Cbrown - July 06, 2011 6:10 pm
    Another liberal genuflecting at the altar of abortion! One of the main pillars of the liberal’s do-whatever-I-want lifestyle regardless of the damage to others!

Support abortion because you’ve had one, maybe? Worried that society might change its mind and decide that abortion is wrong? Then the abortion you’ve had will be bad too, right?

You cannot prove or disprove that a fetus is human life with a soul. Since the consequences for being wrong are so incredibly severe then people need to err on the side of caution and life! Society should WILLINGLY have as few abortions as possible! You might be killing life and you CANNOT prove otherwise!

What is so hard to understand about supporting abortion, yet wanting to see less of them? I support the right of human beings to put their pet dogs and cats to sleep, but not capriciously or without careful thought and deliberation as to the reasons why! Is it to end the animals suffering or is it for the mere convenience of the humans?

As for the states’ rights versus the Fed on Roe Vs. Wade? Try Supreme Court Justice Antoine Scalia and many other learned conservatives as to their opinion. People that have some education as to the what the Constitution truly means understand the mistake of Roe Vs. Wade decision!

The SC has made many mistakes and many of those mistaken decisions have been overturned already!
  34. slolojogger
    slolojogger - July 06, 2011 1:47 pm
    More "blah, blah, blah" illogical unsupported nonsense from you Cbrown. give it a rest. How can you possibly reconcile the statement "I support abortion" and "we need to have a population that willing to have far, far, less". If you support abortion, why do you give a hoot as to how many people are having them and how often they are happening?

And what about the abortion issue is best left up to the States? A state government has a better grip on the issue then the Federal Government?

Your theory of the evolution of a visit to planned parenthood shows just how very detached you are from reality. Your 3 minutes of mumu wearing soapboxing are over - please try to add something of substance to your next post.
  35. Cbrown
    Cbrown - July 06, 2011 12:18 pm
    I wish PP spent just HALF as much time passing out condoms and talking about birth control as you liberals THINK they do!

If you take the abortions out of PP- they would have almost ZERO business, zero patients! That is a fact!

Further- too many of you liberals just LOVE your abortions!

36. The Gimlet Eye
    The Gimlet Eye - July 06, 2011 11:21 am
    Charlie, sounds great about India, but how could you keep track of the person? Is somebody going to follow him/her around 24/7 and make sure? This idea sounds as if it came from those who believe that government can "plan" an economy, not realizing the folly of it all. Too big, too complex, too much information.
  37. xs10shl
    xs10shl - July 06, 2011 10:39 am
    Well said Bill and thank you for bringing up the issue. I support PP and wish that those who pray and protest PP would expend as much energy passing out condoms and encouraging birth control.
  38. Charlie Chan
    Charlie Chan - July 06, 2011 9:53 am
    Wyett, I am in agreement with you. If anyone cares to look around our town, on any given day you'll see hundreds of pregnant illegal aliens, some as young as 13. While it is generally not spoken of, many of these teens are victims of incest due to overcrowding in houses (and I suspect it's by design so they can get more free tax payer money). I've seen many children who have down syndrome and other types of mental retardation (often another tell-tale sign of incest).

Using abortion as a means of birth control is wrong, but Planned Parenthood does far more good in communities which is why I support their efforts to educate and provide birth control.

39. Swabbie
    Swabbie - July 06, 2011 8:42 am
    If we could only require the mother, sperm donor, and grandparents to pay all costs associated with the pregnancy, birth, and upbringing of children rather than us taxpayers. Then maybe, just maybe, women and their sperm donors would think twice about making a baby. I'm so tired of them stealing money from my budget for their children.
  40. WyettEarp
    WyettEarp - July 06, 2011 7:42 am
    Abortion and unwanted pregnancy is not a teen problem, it is a parenting problem. Planned Parenthood is address future parents, not the ones that have already poorly raised the teens getting pregnant.

This is where I split with my conservative and Christian brethren. Give them abortions and the contraceptives. I am tired of paying to raise crack babies that all to often grow up and start dropping even more crack babies and future gang bangers.

What we need is an IQ test before people are allowed to have kids.

Right now we have morons giving birth to future morons and on and on and on.

We just had the story of the women that had 7 kids in spite of the fact they she had no ability to pay for decent care for them which means that the rest of them had to raise those kids.

Morons begetting morons. How can that possibly end well.
  41. Cbrown
    Cbrown - July 06, 2011 7:37 am
    Lies about the abortion rates at Planned Parenthood!

Someone visits PP- they get a pregnancy test, pre-abortion counseling, an abortion, then some contraceptives, and finally a brochure about safe sex and PP will say the abortion was only 20% of the visit! Take away the abortion business and PP goes bankrupt for the lack of customers.

I support abortion, but we need to have a population that is WILLING to have far, far less numbers of abortions. Roe Vs. Wade was a bad decision. Abortion is an issue that should be left up to the states to decide!

In the 5 borough sof New York, 60% of the black women have had an abortion. That is an entire race of people that is using abortion as their primary means of birth control. That is irresponsible!

Civil Dialogue Policy for Commenting on SantaMariaTimes.com

We provide this community forum for readers to exchange ideas and opinions on the news of the day. Passionate views, pointed criticism and critical thinking are welcome. Comments can only be submitted by registered users. By posting comments on our site, you are agreeing to the following terms:

Commentary and photos submitted to the Santa Maria Times (SantaMariaTimes.com) may be published or distributed in print, electronically or other forms. Opinions expressed in SantaMariaTimes.com's comments reflect the opinions of the author, and are not necessarily the opinions of the Santa Maria Times or its parent company. See the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Our guidelines prohibit the solicitation of products or services, the impersonation of another site user, threatening or harassing postings and the use of vulgar, abusive, obscene or sexually oriented language, defamatory or illegal material. You may not post content that degrades others on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability or other classification. It's fine to criticize ideas, but ad hominem attacks on other site users are prohibited. Users who violate those standards may lose their privileges on SantaMariaTimes.com.

You may not post copyrighted material from another publication. (Link to it instead, using a headline or very brief excerpt.)

No short policy such as this can spell out all possible instances of material or behavior that we might deem to be a violation of our publishing standards, and we reserve the right to remove any material posted to the site.

You must Login to comment.

Click here to get an account it's free and quick

Activate subscription button gif
Class of 2015 Commemorative Ads

Featured Businesses

View More...

Online e-Edition

Read your newspaper online, anytime, anywhere!

Read today's Santa Maria Times print edition at any time from any computer. Your local news and information at your convenience!

Read | Subscribe