Commentary

How block scheduling helps students

2013-08-06T00:00:00Z How block scheduling helps studentsShelley Klein / Commentary Santa Maria Times
August 06, 2013 12:00 am  •

News articles recently have contained comments about how the block schedule is not helpful for our Santa Maria High School students. I would like to share how the block schedule allows for students to advance.

Let’s look first at students who come to the high school with a fourth-grade reading level. Two-thirds of the incoming ninth-graders at SMHS tested below grade level. On the block schedule, many of these students would be assigned to our very successful Reading Plus class for 95 minutes in the fall. Then, depending on how well they progressed, they may be assigned a reading improvement class or freshman English in the spring.

If they are assigned freshman English, the students are on track. These classes are taught and taken sequentially, learning the beginning curriculum, then the more advanced curriculum in order.

The student may be placed in a remedial English class, for about 50 minutes each day, and then not move on until the next year. Or, in some schools, the student is given the freshman English class and a remedial English class at the same time. The remedial English class is supplementary, and the curriculum is not sequential, as the classes are taken at the same time. These students are usually stuck taking these remedial shadow classes their entire high school career.

The same idea works for students who come to high school recommended to be in pre-algebra. Many of these students can be assigned pre-algebra in the fall, then take algebra in the spring. They are now on track. This is more complicated on a 5-2 schedule, as they may take pre-algebra their freshman year and then algebra their sophomore year, or be assigned algebra and a math support class. Unfortunately, due to funding this year, we cannot guarantee the pre-algebra to algebra sequence in the same year.

This same process works for English language learners. On a block schedule, students can be placed in English language development (ELD) class A/B in the fall, and into an ELD C/D class in the spring. The curriculum is taught and learned sequentially. On a 5-2, they would be in an ELD A/B class all year and move up the next year, or they would be assigned ELD A/B and C/D at the same time. Can you imagine taking the beginning class and the intermediate class at the same time instead of in order?

For college-bound students in the math and science areas, they can double up their senior year. We have students taking math analysis and calculus, or physics and anatomy, therefore completing two years of math or science in one year, and doing it sequentially. This can be done with other classes, and allows students to meet the A-G college requirements.

I have more than 21 years of teaching at SMHS. I see the block schedule as helping students advance through the curriculum sequentially. This is helping rather than hurting the English language learner, remedial student and college-bound student, although is it not perfect for every student. No schedule can be.

I am proud that our staff has been empowered to continually examine, develop and vote on our school schedule. I hope the district administration, parents and community will allow us to continue to be in control of our schedule to do what is best for our students, as seen by our improved graduation rates, improved A-G course completion rates and improved API scores.

Shelley Klein is a math teacher at Santa Maria High School.

Copyright 2015 Santa Maria Times. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

(9) Comments

1. George Bailey
    George Bailey - September 01, 2013 3:52 pm
    Folks,

I agree with the brilliant and eloquent Justin Case. We have to use our resources wisely, and one only has to look at posters like GSE to see what happens when a brain is not developed properly.

A brain is a terrible thing to waste.

Mr. Bailey
    WWll
  2. gse360
    gse360 - August 15, 2013 7:41 pm
    Then instead of "No on Maldonado" it should of been Yes you voted for Capps didn't you
  3. ShelleyTeach
    ShelleyTeach - August 12, 2013 4:44 pm
    You are correct. Every student does not come to use with the same skill set and I would like to see how you can individualize 66 lessons each day. There will need to be a trade off as we push ALL students into college prep classes and hold them to the rigor. What will happen to our graduation rate? Does the public really believe we can take a 14 year old reading at a 3rd grade level and have them at the 11th grade in 4 years? And the same would follow in science, math, social sciences? Teachers have a very complex job and could use the support of the parents and the community instead of feeling like they are being ran over by a train.
  4. ShelleyTeach
    ShelleyTeach - August 12, 2013 4:41 pm
    I am sorry that your personal experience was negative. That does not nullify the research or data that shows positive benefits. Second, it is not easy. I teach 20 minutes more per day than if I was on a 5-2 traditional schedule. Third, discussing my pay is misleading, it took me 10 years as a teacher to reach the starting salary I had as an engineer. I do not teach because of the money, but because helping students learn is what I love. I am in my classroom until 5 pm each night, and shoo out students to go home. I just attended an inservice on 21st Century Skill where more collaboration time, critical thinking and longer projects are suggested. The block schedule allows for this. I also polled the 5 students in my room today - yes - at school today and they like only having to focus on 3 or 4 classes and the review for AP and SAT and CST that teachers do, on their own time, in the spring to keep the students knowledge fresh. Both of my children enjoyed the block schedule and said it better prepared them for college classes. Everyone has their own opinion and there are more than two sides to every story.
  5. Justin Case
    Justin Case - August 09, 2013 12:10 am
    Folks,

Here’s a great idea;

How about these “students” learn the English language before they illegally sneak into our country and enroll in our high schools! After all, a FREE education is a terrible thing to waste…

Would save a lot of our tax payer money!

Just saying,

El Justino Caso

&

Vote NO on Maldonado!!!
  6. runchasqui
    runchasqui - August 08, 2013 1:56 am
    The Block Schedule is not allowing many of our students to be prepared for the future. The data that you included only benefit a small percentage of students (take one course level the fall semester and go to the next level for the spring semester). Many students stop learning English, Math, Science and Social Science at the end of the semester, and they don't get the next level after 8 months or even after 13 moths!!
    The Block Schedule is a joke! It is an easy schedule for the teachers, and does not challenge our students! My child went all four years with this insane schedule. Many times my child came home with no homework because the teachers allow the kids to do their homework in class instead of teaching new concepts!!! I had to hire tutors after school to prepare my student for the STAR Tests, AP tests, SAT Exam, etc. Our students need to study the main subjects all year long. I could have bought a car with the amount of money I spent on private tutors! No wonder many teachers prefer to send their kids to SJHS, Orcutt Academy, or RHS! Get real lady Shelley! It is time to work! You get pay a lot!
    Please SMJUHSD Officials and School Board members, do not allow the Block Schedule to continue damaging our students' future. The most affected are the ELD students at SMHS and PVHS! Enough is enough!!
    I am just one of many concerned parents!!
  7. John D
    John D - August 07, 2013 11:12 am
    I have to question whether a motivation among educators to let students proceed through the cirriculum with their peers isn't a big part of the problem. Too many of the students I've seen in my community college classes are effectively illiterate even though they must have a high school diploma or equivalent to enroll. In my state at least, that's largely because educators are bullied by parents and lawmakers to promote and graduate students who don't deserve it. Until we seriously consider why our students cannot perform and, refusing to let ourselves be bullied into slapdash solutions by non-educators, take the painful steps necessary to correct the problems, we are not serving our students.
  8. ShelleyTeach
    ShelleyTeach - August 06, 2013 6:09 pm
    First, there are several pros and cons to every schedule and I just presented one of the reasons I support it EVEN though I teach 20 minutes more per day. Second, in 2004 SMHS was on the block AND don't forget that Pioneer High was built and the class of 2007 was split with half (more of the historically higher scoring students) went to Pioneer.
    I agree all students need literacy and numeracy skills along with an understanding of a democratic society to be successful after school. When using data, please compare our school scores on the SATs to SIMILARLY demographic schools (not the state average). I found on Ed-Data the 2010-11 SAT results showed SMHS testing 22% of students compared to the district average of 22% with a total score of 1417 vs the district of 1469. When you take into account the demographics (the average parent at SMHS has not completed high school according CA CDE, ELL, SED, etc.), SMHS is doing well compared to SIMILAR schools.
    Also, the scores, I believe, have more to do with the demographics and incoming 9th graders scoring low in reading than the schedule. I love looking at data, but I must remember that it can only show relationships (and there are many variables) but cannot show causation.
  9. uscmom
    uscmom - August 06, 2013 6:48 am
    Granted your job is a tough one with two-thirds of 9th graders testing below grade level.
    But your argument that the scores have improved because of the Block Schedule is a little bit suspect.

In 2004 Santa Maria High had 51/793 grade 12 students score 1000 or better on the SAT.....6.4% of grade 12 students........ average reading score 435 and Math score 480.

In 2012, Santa Maria High had 30/578 grade 12 students score the average 1500 or better on the SAT......5.1% of grade 12 students.......average reading score 432 and Math score 488

Only 5% of your students have average scores on the college entrance exam, compared to approx 18% statewide.

I don't know what the real reason is the teachers want to retain the block schedule other than fewer courses/periods/students/per semester, but we have to prepare more than 5% of our kids for the demanding work and competition that lies ahead after high school. We are spending an awful lot of money to just turn out 5%. Even if they don't go to college, they must have some basic skills to secure a decent job.

We can't just keep insisting Hancock teach high school coursework a second time......the money will run out!

Civil Dialogue Policy for Commenting on SantaMariaTimes.com

We provide this community forum for readers to exchange ideas and opinions on the news of the day. Passionate views, pointed criticism and critical thinking are welcome. Comments can only be submitted by registered users. By posting comments on our site, you are agreeing to the following terms:

Commentary and photos submitted to the Santa Maria Times (SantaMariaTimes.com) may be published or distributed in print, electronically or other forms. Opinions expressed in SantaMariaTimes.com's comments reflect the opinions of the author, and are not necessarily the opinions of the Santa Maria Times or its parent company. See the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Our guidelines prohibit the solicitation of products or services, the impersonation of another site user, threatening or harassing postings and the use of vulgar, abusive, obscene or sexually oriented language, defamatory or illegal material. You may not post content that degrades others on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability or other classification. It's fine to criticize ideas, but ad hominem attacks on other site users are prohibited. Users who violate those standards may lose their privileges on SantaMariaTimes.com.

You may not post copyrighted material from another publication. (Link to it instead, using a headline or very brief excerpt.)

No short policy such as this can spell out all possible instances of material or behavior that we might deem to be a violation of our publishing standards, and we reserve the right to remove any material posted to the site.

You must Login to comment.

Click here to get an account it's free and quick

Activate subscription button gif

Featured Businesses

View More...

Online e-Edition

Read your newspaper online, anytime, anywhere!

Read today's Santa Maria Times print edition at any time from any computer. Your local news and information at your convenience!

Read | Subscribe