Daniel Morozov, a 9-year-old Santa Maria boy who was reportedly abducted by his father after his mother was shot and killed Monday night, has been found safe, according to the California Highway Patrol and the Los Angeles Police Department.

Konstantin Morozov, 48, who was the primary suspect in the Monday night shooting on North College Drive in Santa Maria that left his ex-wife Natalia Morozova dead, was shot and killed by Los Angeles Police Tuesday night.

Los Angeles Police Department officials confirmed Tuesday night that Morozov was shot at 6:45 p.m. by officers in the city of Encino.

According to Officer Mike Lopez with the LAPD, the shooting occurred in the 5500 block of Lindley Avenue. Morozov was taken to a local hospital where he died.

“No officers were injured in the shooting and we believe this is the individual responsible for the shooting out of Santa Maria last night,” Lopez told the Santa Maria Times. “The boy was found safe, and has been placed into protective custody.” 

An Amber Alert that was issued at 1:30 a.m. Tuesday, along with a physical description of Daniel Morozov, was canceled Tuesday night.

According to the Santa Barbara Police Department, the black Jeep Cherokee the elder Morozov was last seen driving was found abandoned in the 200 block of Lee Drive, near Maricopa Drive, in a residential neighborhood of Santa Barbara. Police were dispatched to the area just before 1 p.m. Tuesday and located the car but found no sign of the missing child or the suspect. 

The vehicle Konstantin Morozov was initially driving — a 2015 blue Volkswagen Golf hatchback — was found abandoned in Santa Maria on Tuesday morning, according to the Police Department.  

Witnesses said they saw Morozov flee the scene on foot after hearing gunshots and a woman screaming for help.

Monday's shooting was the first homicide of the year in Santa Maria. 

Get news headlines sent daily to your inbox

A tenant who lives in the Arbolinda Apartments in the B building said Tuesday he heard gunshots just before 9 p.m. Monday but thought nothing of it, as he believed they were merely fireworks. 

"It was really loud. I heard three gunshots right outside my window, 'Boom! Boom!' then a short pause, and a final 'Boom!'" said the tenant, who declined to give his name. "I had no idea what it was, and I don't know who called the police, but they got here within minutes. They immediately closed off that entire alleyway, roped it all off. 

"I lived here almost a year, and nothing like this has ever happened before," he added. 

Daniel Morozov is a student at Pine Grove Elementary School, according to Orcutt Union School District Superintendent Debbie Blow.

School officials asked for increased police presence on campus Tuesday, which they were provided. Counselors will remain on hand all week to provide support for students and staff, Blow said.

Staff Writer Gina Kim contributed to this report.