1. On your first day with your dog, you'll feel both euphoric and slightly panicked. This is normal.Instagram: @asaventurasdejoca
"What if I don't know how to take care of him?"
2. You may have been wanting to get a dog for years, and when you realize it's finally for real, everything changes.Instagram: @chicoocao
"She's really here: flesh, bone, muzzle, and fur!"
3. Then the little fella doesn't want to eat, or cries at night, or scratches too much... and you begin to despair, thinking that he must be miserable in his new home.Instagram: @appinheiroo
"I'm a monster."
4. But one day, maybe out of nowhere, she'll come up to you while you're watching TV and fall asleep with her head on your lap.Instagram: @rosangela
In that moment, you'll feel the purest love you've ever felt.
5. You'll notice him growing more confident and comfortable in his new home, and it will make your heart explode.Instagram: @tobias_cao
6. With your care, she'll start to gain a little weight, and her coat will become more lush and shiny.
In fact, you'll probably need to start paying attention to make sure you're not overfeeding her.
7. And then one day he'll do something to make you think "my, aren't you a bit presumptuous!" And that is a wonderful moment.Instagram: @abrigoanimaisaumigos
8. Sooner or later, she'll become your shadow.Instagram: @mya
She'll never miss an opportunity to jump into your lap.
9. At the beginning, you'll agonize over leaving him alone for any reason.Instagram: @lilyzinha_dog
You'll go in late, you'll head home early, you'll stop going out with friends.
10. But eventually you realize that, even though she loves having you around, you don't need to spend every moment with her.Instagram: @institutoluisamell
Especially if she has a buddy to keep her company.
11. You settle into a comfortable routine: He gets used to your schedule, and you get more comfortable bringing him with you to unfamiliar places.Instagram: @flordeldia_
You introduce him to friends, crushes, and your family.
12. Thanks to long walks, you get to know your neighborhood in a whole new way.Instagram: @lupi_reizinho
Think of all those places you've never seen before and all those streets you've never been down.
13. You'll talk to your dog A LOT. Yes, even you.Instagram: @dogleoncio
And she really seems to pay attention!
14. And you'll catch yourself thinking that dogs even smell good.Instagram: @monadosbabados
15. Yes, your life will change. But you won't be able to even imagine what it was like before you got your furry companion.Instagram: @angry_e_tina
This is what true love looks like.